Friday, February 26, 2010

What colour would my hair turn if i put red hair dye over the top of dark brown?

i have dark brown hair.


i want to dye it red.


what colour will it turn?


i want it fairly bright, not too dark.


what if i put cheap blonde hair dye in first?





or purple over the top of brown? instead of red.What colour would my hair turn if i put red hair dye over the top of dark brown?
If you hair is coloured dark brown, you can bleach it to blonde to then go over with a red colour.





The only problem is how dark your hair colour is. When you bleach it will only lift to a certain level, so if you hair is very dark brown, then you won't get a white blonde, more of a orangey blonde. You can still achieve a red colour over an orange/blonde, but it may not be as light as you want it.





It is possible to do 2 bleach colour applications, but think about the condition of your hair, will it really be worth it in the long run?





Hope this helps. SamWhat colour would my hair turn if i put red hair dye over the top of dark brown?
These so-called hairdressers are full of bullshit.





Look. I have dark brown hair. I bleach the front of my hair (what I like to call my ';skunk stripe.';); if I didn't bleach, you'd never even know I had dyed it (green, by the way).





Find a good bleach kit (I use Raw WhiteOut Bleach Kit, which you can pick up at any Hot Topic, but most supermarkets will have something in their toiletries section).





FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and DO A STRAND TEST. I can not stress this enough. Make note of how long it takes for the strand to lighten, and check it for breakage or ';gumminess;'; if your hair is still in one piece, then you can go for the whole head. By the way, do it in a ventilated room, or the fumes from the bleach will make you nauseous (oh what we do for beauty). And hang on to the test strand; you'll need it for the next step.





Follow the time that it took for the test strand to lighten, then wash the bleach out, and be patient; you want to make sure it's -all- out. It will probably be mostly an orange/yellow; that's normal with very dark hair. If you really must have it lighter, you'll need to wait at the least a few days to reapply, or you could end up with a lot less hair than you started with.





However, since you're dying it anyway, the orangey/yellow will probably suffice. Again, follow the directions for your dye (It depends on the brand) and treat the test strand. Like as above, make note of how long it takes to get the color you want (wipe away the dye on a small section of the strand), and use that time as a guideline for the dye.





Use Vaseline to cover the tops of your ears and your forehead from getting dyed. Apply the dye, rinse well when the time it up, and enjoy your newly-hued hair!
Blonde hair color isn't going to do anything. Nor is the red hair color or purple. All it will do is give your hair a tint. You need to use Bleach, then put the color over the bleached blonde.





Uh. No it won't. Color WILL NOT lighten hair. You need to bleach your hair. It won't be bright. Yes, It may lighten it slightly, IF your hair is natural, But it won't be bright. And if you know how do it right, It won't streak...and will turn out perfectly fine. which is why I ALWAYS suggest a salon for people who aren't licensed.
DO NOT BLEACH.


If you want it lighter gradually get highlights done, or just don't lighten it. Just putting colour over dark hair won't do anything, you'll have a tint for a few weeks if you're lucky but it won't do anything.





Trust me, I'm a hairdresser do NOT bleach your hair, I know this from personal experience!
You can get cream developer (bleach) at a beauty supply shop. I'm sure there must be such places in NZ. Get 30 volume. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then rinse it out really good and put the dye on top. You might not end up with bright red hair but it will be quite a bit brighter than if you didn't bleach it at all.
I have NATURAL red hair.. listen do NOT put bleach or blonde dye in it hun,you can simply put it in and make sure to leave it in ten minutes longer and it will be fine;)
When I used to do it to my hair (which is dark brown), I made sure the red was a bright red, and it turned my hair into a beautiful shade of plum. :)





I say, go for it!!
You'll need bleach.
  • necklace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment